Healthy Food Access Membership Program
At Community Co-op Market, we believe healthy, delicious food should be accessible and affordable for everyone. Our Healthy Food Access Program creates equitable opportunities allowing all of our neighbors to enjoy local and sustainable foods.
Everyone is welcome to shop at Community Co-op Market (CCM). Yet, we know that 18.9% of the people in the Big Bend area, or about 1 in 5, are food insecure1. This issue directly affects people from all walks of life and of all ages; from young children, to the elderly, to veterans and working families.
We believe that everyone should have access to nutritious food and we want to make that possible as a community-owned natural foods grocery store. Through this program, we are actively reaching out to those in our community who may be struggling to afford healthy food, by reducing barriers to co-op members enrolled in financial assistance programs.
- The cost of a co-op membership may be discounted for those eligible to participate.
- Participants receive a 10% discount on purchases at CCM.
How does it work?
Any CCM member who is enrolled in a financial assistance program may qualify for this program. If you are already a CCM member and are enrolled in financial assistance, you may apply for this program at any time. Program membership must be renewed on an annual basis.
Which financial assistance programs qualify?
Qualifying programs include SNAP/EBT, WIC, SSDI, Veterans Disability Compensation, Supplemental Security Income, Section 8 Housing, and Refugee Cash Assistance.
How do I sign up?
In order to qualify for this program, you must be a member of CCM. Members sign up by either:
- Joining the co-op and selecting the CCM Healthy Food Access option on the agreement, or
- Updating their existing membership information with a cashier.
Members must present their enrollment documentation in a qualifying assistance program. CCM staff will verify the documentation is current and qualifies for program enrollment.
- Documentation of assistance program enrollment is not saved or stored by the co-op. Any copies received from members via mail will be shredded after verification.
- Program membership must be renewed on an annual basis. All program discounts, expire on January 1 and are reinstated if re-enrollment occurs.
- At the end of each calendar year, participating members will receive an emailed or mailed notification to re-enroll after January 1 if they are still eligible for the discount.
Not a CCM Member yet? Learn more about joining, so you can take advantage of this cost saving program!
1Information from Second Harvest of the Big Bend, fightinghunger.org/food-insecurity.