An Update from CCM: Actions we're taking to prevent the spread of Coronavirus
March 13, 2020
Dear Community Co-op Market (CCM) members and shoppers,
It is often the case, in difficult times, that grocery stores are a vital resource to the communities they serve. The recent outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in our region is proving that this continues to be true.
As a grocery store, our co-op is in the unique position of offering essential services for our communities while also doing all we can to minimize risk to our staff, members, and shoppers.
I want to share the things our co-op is doing to best serve you, care for our staff, and be a responsible member of our community:
- CCM has had no reported COVID-19 infections in our co-op. We have asked any staff exhibiting symptoms of respiratory illness or fever to stay home and notify their physician. We have also given our staff who have underlying medical conditions the option to stay home to minimize any potential exposure. Our co-op has a sick and vacation policy, and we are working with employees on a case-by-case basis to ensure they have the support they need.
- Members and shoppers have requested hand sanitizer and sanitized wipes to cleanse cart and handbasket handles. With the increased demand nationwide for these items, we are having difficulty procuring them for our stores. While we work to find a supplier, we are tasking staff with frequently cleaning these high-touch areas.
- Our co-op prides itself on its cleanliness and food safety standards and has safe-staff certified and food safety managers on staff. With their support, and following guidance from the CDC and other agencies, we have implemented even more rigorous cleaning practices throughout our store. This includes frequently sanitizing high-touch locations like pin pads, scales, bathroom areas and carts and handbaskets. We are also changing out hot and cold bar utensils on an hourly basis.
- We have stopped accepting personal cups at our coffee bar and have ceased self-serve sampling.
- We are encouraging customers to use single use bags provided in bulk, or compostable bags provided in produce, rather than containers from home.
- Additionally, any staff handling ready-to-eat foods are already required to wear gloves or use tongs.
- We are working closely with our suppliers to ensure we have the essentials that you are seeking, like pantry staples, cleaning supplies, and health and body care items.
We are making additional efforts to express our gratitude to our staff who continue to work each day with commitment, compassion and kindness to ensure our stores is stocked, clean, and ready to serve you.
We anticipate that guidance from federal, state and local agencies may change rapidly over the coming days and weeks. We will continue to monitor closely and be nimble in adjusting our operations to prioritize the health and safety of you and our staff.
I know you have many choices when it comes to where to purchase groceries. Thank you for choosing our co-op and for being an integral part of our community.
Mark Regni, GM
Community Co-op Market